Ixia and Auspex Demonstrate IPv6 in Virtual Networks at Digital Government Institute's IPv6 Conference
Results Showcase Strategies for Meeting the Scalability and Performance Application Requirements of Demanding IPv4 to IPv6 Transition Scenarios
Calabasas, CA, July 10, 2012 – Ixia (NASDAQ: XXIA), the leading global provider of converged IP and wireless network test and visibility solutions, announced today that it recently participated in a dual-stack IPv4 and IPv6 application delivery validation demonstration, highlighting IPv6 implementations in virtual environments. This demonstration was conducted withfederal IPv6 solutions leader, Auspex Technologies, LLC, in conjunction with F5 Networks at the Digital Government Institute’s IPv6 Conference on Wednesday, June 6th 2012, in Washington, D.C.
Federal agencies are in the midst of developing and deploying IPv6 solutions to meet the Office of Management and Budget’s mission critical 2012 and 2014 milestones. Within 18 to 24 months, IPv6-only users will be accessing agencies’ services. Although big data and Web 2.0 technologies are becoming more predominant in enterprise applications, they can push the limits of virtualized computing infrastructures. IPv6 migration methods can add even more complexity and potentially break critical applications, and federal agencies aren’t always able to fully evaluate different architectures and select the optimal approach.
The demonstration used Ixia’s flagship IxLoad application to control virtual test interfaces (IxVM) – emulating thousands of concurrent web users – in order to validate a virtualized enterprise cloud scenario that used the virtual edition of F5 BIG-IP® Local Traffic Manager™ and a real server farm. F5’s virtual application delivery controller (ADC) was able to accelerate the performance of a Web 2.0 infrastructure with web, application and database tiers by employing load balancing and caching functions. The Web 2.0 infrastructure and F5’s virtual BIG-IP appliance were configured to handle dual-stack IPv4 and IPv6 web traffic to highlight the need to verify that IPv6 implementations can correctly deal with peak usage scenarios issues, such as:
- How to divide applications up front to minimize service disruptions using client-side load testing;
- Tuning software-based application delivery controllers to optimize dual-stack application delivery;
- Ensuring that virtual security infrastructure isn’t a choke point; and
- Optimizing compute resource assignment to virtual machines to maximize application performance.
In addition, the demonstration highlighted what constitutes good user quality of experience (QoE) and how various metrics affect QoE, such as:
- Response time, availability, and application throughput;
- Page load times depending on transaction type; and
- How IPv6 affects application performance.
Ixia's IPv6 Transition Readiness Kit equips NEMs and service providers with test plans and tools to fully evaluate the IPv6 readiness of each device, system, or end-to-end network. It stresses the system under test (SUT) by emulating clients, network devices, and servers that generate bi-directional IPv4/v6 control and data plane traffic.
- IxLoad is a scalable solution for testing converged multiplay services, application delivery platforms, and security devices and systems. IxLoad emulates data, voice, and video subscribers and associated protocols to ensure quality of experience (QoE). IxLoad also applies malware and distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks for security effectiveness and accuracy testing.
- Ixia's IxVM product family is specifically designed to test virtualized assets and environments while leveraging trusted tools that have been used for testing hardware-based network equipment for over a decade. IxVM virtual ports provide a software-based version of a traditional Ixia hardware port that can be deployed in a virtualized environment. Virtual ports support Ixia software applications and can be combined with hardware ports to thoroughly test all aspects of the virtualized server and the impact of virtualization on the broader data center performance.
- Ixia’s IPv6 testing solution emulates the full range of protocols used in today's IPv4, IPv6, and transitional dual-stack networks, and fully stresses the data plane and associated tunneling/translation implementations of each device.
- Auspex provides expert guidance and support on the planning, testing and introduction of innovative technologies in the areas of IPv6, cyber security, cloud computing, virtualization, data center consolidation, enterprise architecture, and infrastructure optimization.
- “Ixia’s goal is to provide a one-stop solution for the testing needs of network equipment manufacturers, providers, and users. The transition to IPv6 is a reality that is upon us, and must be thoroughly validated end-to-end through the network,” said Mike Haugh, Senior Market Development Manager at Ixia. “Ixia’s application delivery and security testing software (IxLoad) coupled with its virtual test interfaces (IxVM) provide a compelling solution to help operators optimize highly virtualized network topologies for peak application performance. The solution helps enable the trend towards network virtualization in cloud environments.”
- “Making public facing services IPv6 operational is a necessary and achievable step for agencies on their path to IPv6 and to maintain business continuity,” said Dale Geesey, COO of Auspex Technologies, LLC. “Our experience and expertise has helped agencies meet Office of Management and Budget’s IPv6 milestones and accelerate their deployments.”
- “We were very pleased to participate in this important demonstration with Ixia and Auspex,” said Nick Urick, Regional Vice President of Federal Sales at F5. “With the looming deadline of September 30, 2012 to support IPv6, the pressure is on U.S. government agencies to meet the mandate, but there are concerns about disrupting existing operations. F5’s BIG-IP is one of the fastest, easiest and most comprehensive platforms to deploy IPv6 without impacting existing IPv4 resources.”
- For more information on Ixia’s IPv6 testing solutions, see http://www.ixiacom.com/solutions/testing_ipv6/index.php.
- For more information on Auspex Technologies, go to www.auspextech.com.
- For more information on F5 IPv6 Solution Services: http://www.f5.com/services/professional-services/ipv6-solution-services.html
- For more information on F5 IPv6 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager: http://www.f5.com/pdf/products/big-ip-local-traffic-manager-overview.pdf
Ixia provides the industry’s most comprehensive converged IP network validation and network visibility solutions. Equipment manufacturers, service providers, enterprises, and government agencies use Ixia’s solutions to design, verify, and monitor a broad range of wired, Wi-Fi, and 3G/LTE equipment and networks. Ixia’s test solutions emulate realistic media-rich traffic and network conditions so that customers can optimize and validate the design, performance, and security of their pre-deployment networks. Ixia’s intelligent network visibility platforms provide clarity into physical and virtual production networks for improved performance, security, resiliency, and application delivery of cloud, data center, and service provider networks. For more information, visit www.ixiacom.com.
Auspex Technologies, LLC is a minority, woman-owned company (SDB) providing expert guidance and support on the planning, testing and introduction of innovative technologies in the areas of IPv6, cyber security, cloud computing, virtualization, data center consolidation, enterprise architecture and infrastructure optimization. Our solutions translate into real savings for our customers. Auspex is the recognized leader in Federal IPv6 solutions. For more information on Auspex Technologies go to www.auspextech.com or contact us at email@example.com.
This material is for informational purposes only and subject to change without notice. It describes Ixia's present plans to develop and make available to its customers certain products, features and capabilities. Ixia is only obligated to provide those deliverables specifically included in a written agreement between Ixia and the customer.