Validation of 100 Gigabit Ethernet Service Routing:Speed Without Compromising Services
Isocore uses Ixia for comprehensive 100 Gigabit Ethernet performance tests of an Alcatel-Lucent Service Router
To evaluate the ability of the Alcatel-Lucent 100 GE Service Routing interfaces to sustain line-rate forwarding while supporting tens of thousands of unique layer 3 IP/MPLS BGP VPNs, layer 2 VPLS and Virtual Leased Line (VLL) services.
Isocore used Ixia's K2 100 GE test interfaces and IxNetwork test application to emulate the customer edge (CE-PE) and provider edge (PE-PE) interfaces, and generate/analyze customized (IMIX) traffic in order to validate the performance of the Alcatel-Lucent 7750 Service Router (SR) with 100 GE IMMs.
- Emulation on the provider edge side offered 200 PE nodes, each establishing LDP, BGP and OSPF sessions with the DUT, with 32,000 emulated services comprising L3 IP-VPNs, L2 VPLS and VLL.
- Line-rate IMIX traffic exercised the DUT's hierarchical QoS architecture across all connections.
- Since the Ixia 100 GE solution closely matches its 10 GE solution and offers script compatibility, mock streams were created on the 10 GE interfaces, and then scaled up to 100 GE capacity.
- Per-flow statistics were used to verify the per-service and per-QoS marking statistics.
Key Findings and Industry Significance:
- These independent tests are an industry first, evaluating 100 GE interfaces delivering real-world services at scale.
- Tests validate a 100 GE solution capable of preserving Service Level Agreements with QoS applied for Layer 2 and Layer 3 services.
- Results demonstrate that 100 GE can confidently be deployed by service providers in the metro and service edge, as well as in the core.
Download full Isocore Test Report: