XM12 High Performance Chassis
Ixia's 12-slot XM12 High Performance modular chassis provides an ultra-high density, highly flexible platform and delivers the industry's most comprehensive solution for performance, functional, and conformance testing of network equipment and network applications. Operating in conjunction with Ixia's test applications, the XM12 chassis provides the foundation for high performance, layer 2-7 test solutions.
The chassis supports up to 192 Gigabit Ethernet ports, 96 - 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports, 6 - 40 or 100 Gigabit Higher Speed Ethernet CFP MSA ports, 12 - 40 Gigabit Ethernet QSFP+ ports 24 packet over SONET (POS) ports, or 24 asynchronous transfer mode (ATM) ports.
The XM12 chassis has an integrated test controller that manages all system and testing resources. Resource ownership at a per-port level, coupled with hot-swappable load modules, ensures a highly flexible and multi-user testing environment. A load module form factor adapter assures backward compatibility with existing Ixia standard form factor interface modules and provides seamless migration from and integration with existing Ixia test system installations.
High Performance XM12 Chassis
|Size||Size: 17.7"w (19.0”w including rack ears ) x 17.5”h x 21.0”d (45.5cm x 44.5cm x 53.3cm)|
|Weight||83 lb (37.65 kg) empty
88 lb (39.92 kg) average shipping weight
|Chassis power  requirements||Upper line cord 1: 200-240V, single phase, 60/50Hz,15A
Lower line cord 2: 200-240V, single phase, 60/50Hz, 11A
|Timing Source||Internal, synchronized with another Ixia chassis, or GPS|
|Operating System||Windows XP Professional|
|Management Card||Mounted in replaceable tray
CPU - Intel Pentium D, 3.0 GHz with 4 GB main memory
Hard drive - 80 GB SATA
|Current Load Modules for XM12 High Performance Chassis ||
XM Form Factor (XMFF) load modules:
Xcellon Ultra™ High Performance Application Test product line:
Gigabit Ethernet TX, TXS, STX and STXS product Families:
|Temperature ||Operating: 41° F to 104° F (5° C to 40° C)
Storage: 41° F to 122° F (5° C to 50° C)
|Humidity||Operating: 0% to 85%, non-condensing
Storage: 0% to 85%, non-condensing
Video: 15 pin connector
Keyboard: PS/2 6 pin DIN
Mouse: PS/2 6 pin DIN
USB: 4 x Male Dual Type A
Management: 10/100/1000 Ethernet RJ45
Sync In: RJ11
Sync Out: RJ11
Ground: Banana Jack
IEEE 1394: 6 pin
Audio: Line In/Line Out/Microphone 3.5mm mini-TRS
|Switches and Indicators||Power, Standby, Master, External Clock
LCD with chassis status information
12 paired LEDs above each slot position indicating slot power and card ownership
|Fans||Eight field replaceable fans|
|Industry certifications||The chassis' safety approvals are UL and CE. These certifications are only valid when the unit is operating from 200-240VAC main power sources. See endnote 2 for more information.|
- Common platform: a single solution for executing a wide array of data, signaling, voice, video, and application testing from layers 2-7
- Hot swappable load modules: load modules can be actively swapped in and out of the test bed without disrupting ongoing testing
- Extensive interface support: Higher Speed Ethernet 40 Gb/s and 100 Gb/s, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, Dual PHY SFP Fiber and 10/100/1000 copper Ethernet, OC-3c/12c ATM, OC-3c/12c/48c/192c packet over SONET (POS), Power over Ethernet (PoE)
- Integrated PC controller running Windows XP Professional operating system for management and control of port configuration and statistics
- High performance: high speed backplane and system controller to support the high bandwidth requirements of large-scale application tests
- Daisy-chaining of up to 256 Ixia chassis in a single test (XM12, IXIA 1600T, IXIA 400T) with synchronization accuracy to within 10 nanoseconds
- Powerful automation facilities using the Tcl scripting language with easy integration into automated lab environments
- Modular sub-components: power supplies, fans, system controller (CPU, memory, hard drive)
- Test industry's highest Higher Speed Ethernet, Gigabit,10 and Gigabit Ethernet, and port density in 10U vertical rack space, reducing space requirements and simplifying management
- High performance architecture speeds test initialization and execution times
- Multi-user environment leverages test equipment investment across multiple tests and users simultaneously
- Integrated PC controller eliminates need to buy a separate, specially configured workstation
- Integrated software packaging/installation for both chassis and interface modules reduces management overhead and simplifies upgrades
- Remote management allows easy access to chassis resources via a network
- Modular sub-components enable simplified and quicker field upgrades and replacements
- Engineering and quality assurance (QA) groups developing and testing Higher Speed Ethernet 40 Gb/s and 100Gb/s, and high density Ethernet, ATM, or Packet over SONET products
- Engineering and QA groups developing and testing high performance Layer 2-7 devices
- Manufacturing groups executing production quality and repetitive testing
- Customer support departments troubleshooting customer issues
- Internet Service Providers (ISPs), carriers, and large enterprises executing product qualification/acceptance testing or pre-deployment hot staging of vendor network equipment
- Certification and interoperability labs providing third party equipment test and validation
The architecture of the XM12 High Performance chassis is designed for superior test application performance. Reduced test initialization and execution times compared with existing test systems results in optimized use of test equipment investment.
Ixia's test systems are built on a proven, scalable architecture that integrates a RISC CPU running Linux and network protocol stacks on every test port. This distributed Linux processing environment enables high performance application traffic testing of content-aware devices together with line-rate stateless traffic generation and analysis on each Ixia test port.
The XM12 High Performance test system is designed to operate in high scalability test environments. The chassis high port density and ability to be daisy-chained and time synchronized increase the test environment to many chassis and thousands of test ports.
The XM12 supports a wide array of Ixia test applications, including:
- IxLoad for performance testing content-aware devices (e.g., load balancers, web servers, video servers) running protocols such as HTTP, FTP, SMTP, SIP, MPEG2 video, etc.
- IxNetwork for control and data plane performance testing of routers and switches with complex protocol support including BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, MPLS, IP multicast and Spanning Tree, including IPv4 and IPv6 variations
- IxAutomate for executing automated, pre-built data and control plane tests with sophisticated results analysis
- IxExplorer for granular, highly flexible data plane testing and analysis
- IxChariot for emulation of networked applications to determine end-to-end response times
- IxVPN for performance testing secure IPsec VPN gateways
- IxANVL for protocol conformance testing
- Test Conductor for complete multivendor test automation framework and IP network testing teams
- IxGreen allows NEMs and service providers to measure a device's energy consumption at various load conditions utilizing real-world, layer 2 through 7 application traffic profiles.
The XM12 is designed to be highly serviceable. Load modules may be replaced while the chassis is powered on, allowing all other load modules continue running unaffected. The system controller CPU, hard drive, and DVD/CD drive are mounted on a replaceable tray. Two interchangeable, modular power supplies are likewise replaceable. Upgrades, repairs and replacements are possible in a matter of minutes, without the need to unrack the chassis. All interface modules and cabling are accessible from the front of the chassis.
The XM12 delivers increased performance for test applications by maintaining compatibility with existing Ixia test systems. Ixia standard form factor load modules are supported in the XM12 chassis via a standard form factor load module adapter that supports hot swapping and improved system performance. Test applications, configurations, and automation scripts are compatible, allowing easy migration of existing test beds to the new system without loss of capital investment.
Product Ordering Information
OPTIXIAXM12-02, Chassis, 12-slot XM form factor XM12 High Performance chassis, Includes integrated PC controller, Windows XP Pro, IxExplorer software, and Qty (2) 2000W modular power supplies; REQUIRES Free Software Media Kit to be ordered separately, Specify Qty (1) 922-3003 5.20; OR Qty (1) 922-3004 5.30.
Adapter Card, Supports standard form factor modules used with 941-0003 (OPTIXIAXM2-02), 941-0009 (OPTIXIAXM12-02 High Performance), or 941-0002 (OPTIXIAXM12-01 Standard) chassis
Chassis Accessory, Optional Noise Reducer for 941-0009 (OPTIXIAXM12-02 High Performance) or 941-0002 (OPTIXIAXM12-01 Standard) chassis; Installs on the rear of the XM12 chassis to reduce the sound of the cooling fans by approximately 10 dB, extends chassis depth by 6 inches; Includes mounting screws and installation instructions
AFD2, Auxiliary Function Device, IRIG-B standalone timing unit for any Ixia chassis, RoHS compliant; Includes two 15 ft. cables, 6 ft. USB cable, 6 ft. serial cable, 6 ft. chassis sync cable and power supply; Configure by USB or serial cable; requires cable to be connected to BITS or other timing source
AFD1, Auxiliary Function Device, GPS standalone unit for any Ixia chassis. Includes antenna, USB cable, serial cable, chassis sync cable and power supply. Configure by USB or serial cable, requires antenna to be installed with line-of-sight to the GPS satellites
GPS Antenna, Installation Kit. Includes TNC Bullet antenna, 75 ft. cable. Operates with 942-0002 (AFD1)
GPS Cable Option. Includes in-line COAX TNC Amplifier, 200 ft. cable. Operates with 942-0002 (AFD1)
 Some high density / high performance load modules may require more power and cooling reducing the total number of useable slots. The number of useable slots will be determined by the combination of load modules being used in the chassis. Please refer to the load module data sheet for any restrictions due to power consumption.
 Both 200-240VAC power cords must be plugged into their power sources at the same time for correct operation of the chassis. The power cord has a NEMA L6-20P plug that goes to the power source and an IEC-60320-C19 receptacle that plugs into the XM12 chassis. The power cord is rated to 16 Amperes. The plug and receptacle are rated for 20 Amperes. The XM12 chassis is UL certified when using the 200-240VAC power cords supplied with the chassis.
 For a complete list of all Ixia load modules supported by the XM12 chassis please refer to the Ixia Hardware and Reference guide document that is available under the Support section of the www.ixiacom.com website.
 Some high density / high performance load modules may require a lower ambient air operating temperature. If this is the case, the operating temperature will be lowered for the chassis to what is specified in the load module datasheet.
P/N: 915-0101-01 Rev E, November 2010
This material is for informational purposes only and subject to change without notice. It describes Ixia's present plans to develop and make available to its customers certain products, features and capabilities. Ixia is only obligated to provide those deliverables specifically included in a written agreement between Ixia and the customer.