Looking for a career? Try cyber security!
Cyber security seems to be constantly in the headlines from Target’s massive point-of-purchase system hack and the impressively huge Equifax breach to speculation that teenagers, the Russians or some other nation state may have tampered with elections. There is one thing for sure, cyber security professionals are in great demand.
There are currently more than 300,000 unfilled cybersecurity related jobs in the U.S., according to CyberSeek, a career website focused on cybersecurity. Experts predict the shortage will only get worse. The Cybersecurity Jobs Report, sponsored by Herjavec Group, predicts that there will be 3.5 million cybersecurity job openings by 2021.
If you are about to choose your major in college and/or are looking for a satisfying and lucrative career, consider cyber security. Since it is National Cyber Security Awareness Month, I put together a list of the top 5 cyber security and IT jobs in demand to help illustrate the opportunities available for your personal and career growth. Take a look and see what your future could be.
- Cyber Security Engineer/Analyst - largest current demand is for Cyber Security Engineers who are responsible for the security of an organization’s networks. Cyber Security Analysts are entry level on the team. Pay for cyber security engineers ranges from $125,000 USD to $210,000 USD while cyber security analysts make from $90,000 USD to 185,000 USD
- Network Engineer / Architect – these professionals plan, implement and oversee computer networks that support in-house voice, data, video and wireless network services. Average salary: $71,000 USD
- Cyber Security Manager / Administrator – the responsibilities include implementation of security policies, regulations, rules, and norms and make sure that the computing environment in their organization is safe for employees, partners and customers. Pay for cyber security managers ranges from $120,000 USD to $180,000 USD
- Systems Engineer – they are responsible for system design and analysis. They implement new systems, correct software errors in existing systems and improve performance through hardware upgrades. Pay for systems engineers ranges from $85,000 USD to $130,000 USD
- Vulnerability Analyst / Penetration Tester – these professionals probe for security vulnerabilities in web-based applications, networks and systems. The average salary ranges from: $44,000 US to $130,000 US
Source: Salary Data sourced from Mondo 2017 Salary Outlook; IT, Tech, and Digital Marketing Salary Info and Hiring Trends for 2017