Hawkeye Solution Components
Deploy Hawkeye Solution
- Deploy Hawkeye web server in central location (NOC, data center, etc.)
- Strategically-deploy software and hardware endpoints to cost-effectively reach any network location:
- Customer premises
- Mobile devices – Wi-Fi or Cellular
- Remote sites and head offices
- Network aggregation points (PEs)
- Core network, MPLS routers
- Data centers
- Virtual machines and servers
Plan and design your active test scenarios
- Define test topology with node-to-node or mesh with hub and spoke
- Build large topology test (full mesh) with one click
Select test types among default pre-calibrated tests in Hawkeye library
Hawkeye supports a variety of service level agreement (SLA) and quality of experience (QoE) objectives, that include:Select test types among default pre-calibrated tests in Hawkeye library
- Bandwidth availability or verification with bit blasting or TCP-based testing
- Speed test from site to site with advanced configuration on traffic profiling
- Class of service (COS) implementation validation
- IP network SLA verification (one-way delay, jitter, loss)
- Real-time streaming verification
- Mean opinion score (MOS) for voice
- Media delivery index (MDI) for video streaming
- Server response time for transactional applications emulating user profile
- Unified communications tests (Skype for Business)
- Access to any HTTP/HTTPS servers using one arm test to any URL
- Experience downloading web pages
- Netflix, YouTube, and any Dash/Adaptive streaming test
- Ping (ICMP, TCP, UDP) and traceroute to any interface on the web
- QoE for email, torrent, YouTube, Dropbox, etc.
Monitor distributed WI-FI networks from end-user perspective
- Connect XRPi to Wi-Fi in key locations and software agents in smartphones for ad hoc verifications
- Collect Wi-Fi signal strength information while running Hawkeye tests
Create target thresholds for different tests
- Adjust applications, test variables, and thresholds based on trial data to match expectations of the network and its performance
- Thresholds are the baseline to decide if tests are passing or failing
- Setting up correct thresholds is essential for understanding the test results and making sure that the right level of information is in the database
- Default test thresholds are pre-configured in the system
Define your active test schedules
- Schedule new tests over time to continuously inject instrumented traffic in the network. Verify continuous 24/7 lines or full topology.
- Define on-demand or scheduled tests. Define time to start your test, interval between tests, tests duration, and time to stop test. Allows running continuous proactive monitoring of tests.
- Use different result levels and granularity to get quick and efficient results and understanding
- Ensure every team member can get to the data required with simple Pass/Fail or detailed test reports
- See results in real time in geographic dashboard
- Run your test and look at single instance results or group of tests results
- Quickly identify problematic links
Wi-Fi coverage dashboard
- Look at specific tests and get understanding of results
- Run trend reports on historical data and analyze network behaviors
- Export and send reports via email to share results between teams
Monitor Pass/Fail for trouble spots
- Activate alarms on critical paths
- Get notified by email, SNMP traps, customized notifications
- Reporting engine allows creation of reports and dashboards based on the results stored in the database
- Schedule daily automatic reports to follow critical networks
- Receive automatic emails with comprehensive reports
Be the first to know what is happening on your network. Know what users experience, what what service providers are delivering, and troubleshoot network problems quickly. Use synthetic traffic to know what is happening at anytime, including when the network is not being used and passive monitoring is unable to provide information.
Web and Application Monitoring
Your users are connecting to web sites and using applications to make phone or video calls, share documents, screen, using combination of local and cloud based services. Ensure web based, cloud based and voice/video applications are always delivered and quickly pinpoint at problems and identify if this the network or the application.
Most organizations have converted to a 100% laptop model which combined with bring your own device (BYOD), smartphones, and the internet of things (IoT), these trends make Wi-Fi connectivity essential to business. Data flow is as critical as blood to our brains! Ensure your users are getting the best Wi-Fi connectivity for the best experience possible.
- Distributed Endpoints
- Types of Tests
- Application Library
- KPIs Built-in
- Real-time Dashboard
Distributed Monitoring Endpoints
Hawkeye offers a single Web based interface which scales to monitor hundreds of endpoints anywhere in the world. Endpoints sit at remote sites (e.g. branch office or home) and at a data center, headquarters, private or public cloud. They generate synthetic traffic to inject into and receive from the live network, reproducing real users traffic patterns. The synthetic traffic is processed for objective quality metrics and use for insights.
Endpoints are available in both hardware and software formats and are easy to install. Learn about our endpoints.
Real Service Tests
In real service tests, an endpoint generates synthetic traffic and sends it to servers or network equipment – it will process the response it receives from the network into objective KPIs to the management interface, where again it it displayed real-time.
In node-to-node tests, one endpoint generates synthetic traffic and sends it to a second endpoint on a live network. An example would be a branch office to the main office. The receiving endpoint (node) is able to relay information about the quality of the connection to the management interface - where results are displayed in real-time live dashboards.
Hawkeye makes it simple with the largest application library in the industry; this allows users to generate many kinds of synthetic traffic to pro-actively monitor their live networks.
With the application library, you can:
- Ensure the quality of experience (QoE) for your users. Emulate Voice and video traffic, covering services like standard Voice over IP (VoIP), unified communications (e.g. Skype for business), or other video conferencing
- Make sure your users can access business critical applications such as Office 365, Youtube, Dropbox and more.
- Qualify and maintain network SLAs with diagnostic tools for IP Transport testing - Assess layer 3 network performance indicators (loss, jitter, delay)
- Validate network services like DNS and Traceroute by quickly diagnosing with ping and resolving any issues
- Qualify the real capacity of your circuits. Test TCP and UDP traffic throughput over wired or wireless connections. Synthetic traffic can be generated up to line rate
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) Built-in
Know how your network performance, web and application experience and Wi-Fi experience is against pre-defined KPIs. There are two steps to determining performance.
Step 1: Hawkeye generates synthetic traffic from endpoints and then measures the response from the network, application or Wi-Fi. Metrics are assessed based on the type of traffic.
- Voice/Video/Unified communication: Mean Opinion Score, delay, jitter, packet loss
- IP transport metrics: delay, jitter, packet loss, packet loss bursts
- Bandwidth capacity per class of service, per stream throughput
- Web site browsing: response time, time to first byte, per file download rate
- Availability (is there is a response or not)
Step 2: Hawkeye then evaluates the measurements against thresholds, to determine the performance of a network, application or Wi-Fi
- Default thresholds are based on industry or standards (e.g. ITU, IETF)
- You can customize thresholds based on your organizations' business drivers
- Where no industry standards exist, Ixia uses its extensive in the network test space, to create guidlines for expected performance
- Metrics are reported pass-fail based on the thresholds configured
Hawkeye includes a real-time dashboards that showcase KPIs and current performance of your network, application service and Wi-Fi. Dashboard are comprehensive and show everything from endpoint deployment on a map, a summary of scheduled tests and ongoing results. With a glance, you know what is going on!